Friday 19 May 2017

Song#2 All on this farm- Idea Stage

I'm back with another song! In case you are new here, welcome to my 1 year blog on making 7 songs to propose to my beloved!

  1. Idea Stage
  2. Composing and Arranging Stage
  3. Recording Stage
  4. Mastering Stage aka apply-some-magic-time
  5. Final Product

Source

My girlfriend has this toy sheep which sort of bleats with a built in weighted air bladder when you flip it upside down, then right way up again. So, I thought of like, why not make a song that can utilise that fake sheep bleat?

What better than Old MacDonald's nursery rhyme? You see, that song is kinda like under the country genre, and it involves most of the animals on his farm...so I went about binging on the latest country and bluegrass music available.

I came across talents like the family Sleepy Man which is god damn awesome with their banjo playing, and the Dead South, all great inspiration for my song. In all honesty, I considered learning the basics of banjo riffs, and all other bluegrass instrument playing but I concluded that's going to take a long-long while.

So, I settled for the next best thing, getting existing loops. I've used loops quite often in my songs, from guitar riffs to melodic lines from the giant Loopmasters's free 'Excite Promo 2015' pack that came with my Novation Launchpad Pro. It was then I got to know the original site called Loopmaster, being a platform for audio loop packs that can run individually as audio files, Kontakt files, Ableton and many more.

I just searched their site can Boom! came out the exact loop pack that I wanted - Bluegrass pack by Bigfishaudio.  They featured demo stuffs like 'old-timey, folk and country' tunes with sets consisting of acoustic guitar, banjo, mandolin, bass and djembe (which is some kind of portable lap drum). So, I went ahead with that pack and used it with Kontakt, which for those of you who aren't familiar with samplers, Kontakt is basically a plug-in for your DAW and it plays loaded samples or instruments. Kontakt has been around for ages and is much like a multi-platform plug-in (works with most of the DAW softwares like Reason, Cubase and Ableton) and thus have wider selection in terms of 'audio patches' and samples libraries.

But most importantly, I had to choose a name for this song.... which initially was a rather cringy name like 'And there was a lamb'. However, as you can see, the title of this post is somewhat different due to the phrase being plucked out of the lyrics (as this post was written post song publication). In the end that phrase was from the last line of the chorus, and it fit the #2 song's initial lineup of the M-A-R-R-Y-M-E plan.

Long story short: Song name is 'All on this farm', using bluegrass loop pack and is animal themed.

Stay tuned for Part II of  V for this song!

No comments:

Post a Comment