Friday 4 August 2017

Song#3 Runaway - Recording Stage

Well well well well well, iiiits recording time folks!
  1. Idea Stage
  2. Composing and Arranging Stage
  3. Recording Stage
  4. Mastering Stage
  5. Final Product
If you look closely, you'll find info on this blog here :)

Recording

Using my beautiful Blue Yeti microphone, I proceeded to scream into it. Not literally, but somehow or rather I decided that the chorus should be pitch as high as the Beegees, you can guess the outcome of my vocal chords.

There were occasions throughout the day where I could hit the high notes perfectly, but can't even croak any after meals. The recording was done in two shot, using the guide tones I set in Ableton Live, with the V-Station synth. I had my phone is one hand and the mouse to stop and start recording in the other. On the phone was my lyrics, zoomed out as much as possible to reduce scrolling during the singing.

After singing for what seems forever, I ported the audio to Melodyne, this time without any processing through gates whatsover. This is due to the mistakes in the previous song, where there were clippings i.e. silent gaps in the singing when you listen closely. High-pass gates work where sound above a certain decibel are allowed to pass-thru while softer ones are cut out completely.

The mistake in the previous song was that I processed the audio even before porting to Melodyne. It made the singing sound awkward when softer sounds were cut away (like singing with your nose pinched). So this time, I opted for a post-Melodyne-postprocessing.

The first take was not that good, where I missed certain syllable (blame lousy lyric writing), so I used it as a backing harmony track. The second take was the main one used.

Red is the main vocal, yellow is the harmony
Like I mentioned in the previous post, the harmony this time was more of a trial-and-error kind of workflow, where I just tried pitching a 3rd above and adjusting notes that sounded weird in the particular chords at that time.

For the electric guitar ,  using my neighbour's PRS Tremonti se, I hooked it up with a Mooer Hustledrive (overdrive) Pedal and a Mooer Re-echo Pedal. Being not really a guitar person, I just strummed haphazardly and using power chords that kinda matched the chorus original chords. Also, I used his Roland Microcube as amp while I routed the leadout/headphone jack to my computer mic jack - with reducer add-on of course. That took about several takes before getting the desired track.


Stay tuned for Part IV of  V for this song!

No comments:

Post a Comment